Looking at the number of great great grand children of some key people in history …
Charles “Charlemagne aka Great” has 23 great great grand children.
William “Conqueror” has 52.
Eleanor of Aquitaine
The illustrious Eleanor of Aquitaine has some 133 great great grand children. Her descendants include:
- Richard “Lionheart” I King England,
- Eleanor Plantagenet Queen Castile,
- Berengaria I Queen Castile,
- Ferdinand III King Castile, III King Leon,
- Sancho “Pious” II King Portugal,
- Alfonso III King Portugal,
- Blanche Ivrea Queen Consort France,
- Louis IX King France,
- Charles King Sicily, Henry I King Castile,
- Joan Plantagenet Queen Consort Sicily,
- John “Lackland” I King England,
- Margaret Dunkeld Queen Consort Norway.
Edward III and his Descendants
Edward III King England has more, 178 great great grand children. His descendants, as we know, from Who Do You Think You Are, include Danny Dyer, as well as most people in Europe, if not now, then in a generation or two.
His son, John of Gaunt 1st Duke of Lancaster, is even more prodigious, having 201 great great grand children; the most I’ve found so far. His descendants include:
- Edward “The Philospher” I King Portugal,
- John II King Portugal,
- Manuel I King Portugal,
- John II King Castile,
- Joanna Queen Castile,
- Catherine of Aragon Trastámara of Aragon Queen Consort England,
- Henry VII King England and Ireland,
- James II King Scotland,
- Edward IV King England,
- Richard III King England.
As the son of Edward III King England all of John of Gaunt’s descendants are also Edward’s.
Ralph Neville, 1st Earl Westmoreland
Ralph Neville 1st Earl Westmoreland is a close second having 181 great great grand-children mainly as a result of his having twenty two children with his two wives: Margaret Stafford and Joan Beaufort. His descendants include:
- Edward IV King England,
- Margaret Tudor Queen Consort Scotland,
- Henry VIII King England and Ireland,
- Mary Tudor Queen Consort France, Richard III King England.
Later Kings and Queens of England
The later Kings and Queens of England are less prodigious:
Henry VII King Engand has 28 great great grand children.
James VI of Scotland and I of England has a meagre 10 despite having 30 great grand children.
So in terms of the most great great grand children John of Gaunt 1st Duke of Lancaster is the clear ‘winner’ with Ralph Neville 1st Earl Westmoreland and Ralph Neville 1st Earl Westmoreland coming a close second and third.
Interesting to note John of Gaunt was the son of Edward III and Ralph’s second wife Joan Beaufort the daughter of John of Gaunt. A case of good genes perhaps?